Monday, September 1, 2008

Not WoW

I knew when I started this nonsense, I'd sooner or later start making posts that have nothing to do with WoW. Well, I guess it is sooner.

I have not been playing much. RL stuff has kept me out of every Newbian Archie hit and Black Temple for roughly a month. They have the front three of BT down! Sheesh!

People say 'RL stuff' and others frequently assume it's something bad. I am guilty of this myself. "I hope that RL stuff works out okay" isn't an uncommon phrase. The RL stuff I have been busy with is just that; I'm busy. Most of this summer has been pretty laid back. Usually we've got like 15 things schedualed to do every weekend in the summer. It's do this do that nonstop until work on Monday. I've enjoyed just being able to chill this year and do the things I'm supposed to get done on the weekends in my own sweet time. (Mostly)

This weekend I've been in what most folks in New York consider 'upstate,' but this Albany immigrant (I'm from Michigan (as are, strangely, many people I raid with)) can't see how anything only an inch north of NYC on a map can be considered 'up' in a state as big as NY. As far as I'm concerned, Upstate NY STARTS in Albany. So there.

So anyway, I'm at a retreat center BETWEEN Albany and NYC. It's a hippy dippy spiritual retreat type place with a fairly heavy Hindu focus (though there is a small Buddha statue behind where I'm sitting in the garden). This weekend is their yearly Kirtan retreat, and I am here. Kirtan is a hindu practice of chanting certain mantras in repetition. It is supposed to be more effective in groups of people, and I'd have to agree with that. Even setting aside cosmic or supernatural significance, the energy of 500 people in a room singing is amazing.

So I've been chanting the various revealed names for three days on and off, some times for two hours or more at a strech. Namah, Krishna, Ram, Gopala, Kali, Govinda, Shivaya, etc, etc, repeat, rinse, repeat; and I'm ready to back to the Real World.

Ah! I see what I did there.

I have referred to this retreat as an RL activity to folks I game. And now I'm calling the universe outside the Omega Institute the Real World, interesting.

Layers.

Onions.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

1 comment:

Fiskr said...

I'd rather "piss broken glass" but I'm sure you had fun. At my kind of retreat, we scream, yell, charge at and beat the hell out of each other with padded sticks.

NYC should be it's own country. It has nothing in common with the rest of of New York, which is largely a fine rural destination.