Monday, September 1, 2008

Not WoW, part two

This folks in the office said my checkout time today is 1pm, but the sign in my room says I have to have all my stuff packed and out of the room by 9am, eh. I packed everything up and left it IN my room. The regular program goes until 2pm or so today, with a lot of extra stuff going well into the evening. I can't imagine they expected folks to just pile all their crap willy nilly around the center. some of these people brought a LOT of crap.

Speaking of crap. There are some things I will certainly bring next year, like herbal cough drops and a small bag of some kind to put Important Crap in (keys, wallet, phone). Maybe a travel mug so I can expand my coffee consumption to beyond the dining hall.

Soon after I got here my wife was helping me carry my crap up the hill to my room, and she observed all the Boomers here. By evening I could toss people into one of three catagories: Boomer, Yuppie, Hippie. I personaly don't fit in any of them. Though, to be fair, most of the people here probably don't think they do either.

The Boomers are the ex-hppies who consumed a pharmacy worth of chemicals in the 60s and 70s, thinking it was going to expand their minds and enlighten them, or something. They've been following this kind of stuff for a good chunk of their lives, and many of them seem to be the real deal. You can tell it isn't a fad for them, but a real devotional practice that has deepened with years of experience. You can see it right on their faces. They're ... happy.

Nice folks but, not my tribe.

The Yuppies are. Well I don't know that yuppie is the best word for them. Most of them are technically Boomers too but its best not to get TOO complicated. I'm trying to make Broad Generalizations About People I Don't Even Know. Best keep it simple eh? The Yuppies are, in large part, downstate women with too much disposable income and nothing to do. How many times did I overhear the answer to "where do you live?" as "Wes-Chess-Tah." Oy vey. And they won't ... Stop ... Talking. Susie from Bed-fahd's broker husband is going to have his jaw broken to correct an overbite because "he's so wrapped up in an ego phase. His ego is just really out there right now." Molly from Jersey finds "aruveyda is really good the bowel." Oy vey.

DEFINATELY not my tribe.

The Hippies are, well, hippies. They are the new kids who will probably be like the Boomers in 20 years. Right now they are very in to being different. Many of them are likely either the children of Boomers, or grew up in a Bible thumping home, or most likely come from childhoods where questions like god, existence, and the nature of the soul just ... weren't talked about. They are a little over eager to show how IN to it all they are.

Good kids. Not my tribe.

So, what then?
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

1 comment:

Fiskr said...

Dude, you are a hippy. I am a redneck and you are a hippy. EVERYONE at your happy little love fest is a hippy to ANYONE not there.

Sorry, it had to be said. But it sounds like you enjoyed the hell out of it, which is awesome.