Monday, September 1, 2008

Not WoW, part three

So what? I'm a believer in synchronicity. I don't know what it means, but I believe it exists. Concurrent with my weekend adventure in Real Life (but not the Real World), was the Penny Arcade Expo. Many of the people in what I tend to think of as my tribe are probably heading home from it now. PAX has likely turned into the biggest video game convnention in the country since the demise if E3. Pretty impressive considering it was started by two nerds who make a web comic.

So on the other side of the country, in Seattle, were My People gathered for their largest meeting of the keyboards. Gamers. What an odd lot we are. From the acne covered kid with coke bottle glasses, to the Bud swilling fistpounding frat boy who likes to frag "fags" in Halo. All of them hanging out, shooting each other with pixels, and oggling booth babes.

Given the choice (and honestly, the expense would have been roughly the same), I think I'd rather be here with the Boomers, Yuppies, and Hippies. At least for the weekend. A good chunk of Tribe Nerd would likely think me cookoo bananas for that. So it goes.

Why have I been thinking about this crap so much? Well, I've had time and, I am a lousy meditator. My brain never calms down. Also, with the exception of a couple of phone calls, I've barely talked in going on three days. One thing I notice whenever I spend a time not talking is that very little of what I say is very important. I've found most of what I've used my voice for (aside froim chanting) is social politeness. Thank you, excuse me, would you like me to move? Its rather startling to me how important these polite terms are. It probably keeps us from punching each other in the face regularly. But that's too much drift for even a poorly thought out and unproofed blog post (I KNEW there was a reason I stopped doing this years ago).

This time on my hands with a rushing brain put a question in my head: could video game playing be considered a meditative practice?

I believe, in certain cases, yes.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

1 comment:

Fiskr said...

"Moving parts in rubbing contact require lubrication to avoid excessive wear. Honorifics and formal politeness provide lubrication where people rub together. Often the very young, the untraveled, the naïve, the unsophisticated deplore these formalities as "empty," "meaningless," or "dishonest," and scorn to use them. No matter how "pure" their motives, they thereby throw sand into machinery that does not work too well at best."

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Robert_A._Heinlein